18th November 2020
How Sugary Is Your Christmas Coffee? Seasonal Drinks That Contain Up To Twice Your Daily Recommended Sugar Allowance!
• Starbucks, Costa, Pret, McDonalds and Greggs have UK Christmas drink menus
• Indulgent drinks include hot and cold coffees and sugar-laden hot chocolates
• Some have up to 500 calories and up to twice NHS recommended levels of sugar
With the November chill deep in the air and Halloween long gone, the countdown to Christmas is in full swing - and coffee chains across the UK are launching their festive menus to the delight of many fans.
From Toffee Nut Lattes to coffee infused with eggnog, many drink lovers will be heading to their nearest high-street retailer in search of a sweet caffeine buzz to take away and enjoy during lockdown.
But indulging in these seasonal treats may wreak havoc with healthy eating intentions, with the largest Christmas coffee racking up nearly 500 calories and a whopping 57g of sugar - almost twice a UK adult's recommended daily allowance.
US chain Starbucks, a trendsetter among the festive set, have launched their Christmas menu to the delight on many fans this year.
Their Iced Gingerbread Frappe, is the most sugary high street offering with 373 calories and 57.7g of sugar.
NHS guidelines recommend no more than 30g of non-natural sugars, meaning it has almost double the daily recommended intake.
Meanwhile, their Starbucks Gingerbread Latte has almost a quarter of an adult's daily recommended calorie intake, with 491 calorie of a huge 48.8g of sugar.
Also on the list is Greggs' Mint Hot Chocolate, which has 334 calories and 46g of sugar and Costa's The Quality Street®- The Purple One Latte which has 303 calories and 34.4g of sugar.
Here, FEMAIL reveals which Christmas drinks have the most sugar and calories if you're planning to indulge.
REVEALED: THE MOST TO LEAST SUGARY DRINKS
1. Starbucks Iced Gingerbread Frappe
373 calories 57.7g of sugar
2. Starbucks Eggnog Latte
451 calories 56.3g of sugar
3. Starbucks Peppermint Hot Chocolate
477 calories, 55g of sugar
4. Starbucks Toffee Nut Frappe
382 calories 52.g of sugar
5. Starbucks Toffee Nut Latte
494 calorie 48.8g of sugar
6. Starbucks Gingerbread Latte
491 calorie 48.8g of sugar
7. Greggs Mint Hot Chocolate
334 calories 46g of sugar
8. Costa Terry's Chocolate Orange Hot Chocolate
384 calories 44.6g of sugar
9. Pret S'mores Hot Chocolate
418 calories 42.5g of sugar
10. Starbucks Iced Eggnog Latte
332 calories 40.9g of sugar
11. Starbucks Iced Toffee Nut Latte
367 calories 37.6g of sugar
12. Starbucks Iced Gingerbread Latte
364 calories 37.7g of sugar
13. Starbucks Truffle Hot Chocolate
388 calories 37.1g of sugar
14 . Costa Irish Velvet Hot Chocolate
443 calories 36.3g of sugar
15. Costa After Eight® Hot Chocolate
348 calories and 34.8g of sugar
16. Costa The Quality Street®- The Purple One Latte
303 calories 34.4g of sugar
17. Costa Black Forest Hot Chocolate
432 calories 31.4g of sugar
18. Pret Ginger Bread Latte
342 calories, 29.5g of sugar
19. Greggs Salted Caramel Latte
223 Calories 28g of sugar
20. Pret Salted Caramel Latte
312 calories 26g of sugar
21. Costa Irish Velvet Latte And Cream
365 calories, 25.6g of sugar
22. Mcdonald's Salted Caramel Latte
206 calories 25g of sugar
23. Costa Cinnamon Spiced Cappuccino
211 calories, 23.2g of sugar
24. Salted Caramel Latte
206 calories 25g of sugar
25. Costa Gingerbread Latte And Cream
333 calories, 14g of sugar
Source: Daily Mail
19th March 2020
COVID-19: How staying hydrated boosts your body's first line of defence against the novel coronavirus
28th January 2019
Mad About Harry | Help Harry Banks fight Neuroblastoma
16th September 2019
Beware: Energy drinks may damage your kidneys and more
29th January 2019
Massive Study links Aspartame to Major Problems
12th February 2019
How to get rid of visceral fat: One drink you should avoid to reduce the harmful belly fat
15th February 2019
Drinking just two cans of sugar-free diet drinks a day increases your chance of heart attack or stroke by a THIRD
30th August 2018
Energy Drink Ban
1st May 2019
This Is What Happens To Your Body If You Drink A Fizzy Drink Every Day
29th April 2019
Fitness Facts: Hydration
7th May 2019
Damning proof there’s no such thing as a ‘healthy’ fizzy drink!